What you can expect
The goal of “Encouraging Excellencies” is connecting young women with diplomats in Vienna to offer guidance in career related matters and encourage them to enter a career in international politics.
Through remote counseling (through video conferences) you will be receiving career advice (such as support with your CV or interview training), helping you build a professional network and gaining relevant insight into international politics.
The period of mentoring will be at least one year but may be extended up to three years, based on individual requirements.
- Female, aged 17 to 25
- Enrolled in an undergraduate degree related to international politics (political science, law, sociology, languages, economics) or proven interest in international politics
- Good English proficiency beneficial, other languages will be considered
Information we need from you
- CV including: Nationality, Language Skills, Career, University
- Cover Letter (one to two pages)
This should include:
- Your motivation for joining “Encouraging Excellencies” and for striving for a career in international politics
- Challenges or obstacles you have encountered up to date relating to university or your career and how you overcame these
- What are you looking for in a mentor? What goals are you trying to achieve?
We are trying to make great matches and for this purpose we are not just looking at your prior achievements and future goals but also trying to assess who you are as a person. For this reason, please answer the following questions (short paragraphs!).
- If you could choose anybody to have dinner with, who would it be and why?
- What do you value in a friendship?
- Do you have any unusual hobbies?
- The application period will start on 1 November and will end 30 November 2018
- Send all the above-mentioned material to the person responsible at your university (Please do not send your application to Women in International Security Austria!) – Participating Universities will be listed here soon!
- After your university checks your application for basic requirements, applications are sent to the Encouraging Excellencies Board
- The board may contact you for further information or a pre-interview. The board selects suitable candidates and forwards them to the mentors
- Mentors make the final pick
- Mentoring will start in Spring 2019